USBC announces 2010-11 high average and series winners

USBC announces 2010-11 high average and series winners

11/14/11

By Matt Cannizzaro
USBC Communications

Team USA member Liz Johnson enjoyed a successful year on the international stage, and she was able to stay sharp by competing in a USBC Sport Bowling league.

The 37-year-old right-hander, who earlier this year helped Team USA to its first team gold medal at the World Tenpin Bowling Association World Women's Championships since 1987, captured the women's 2010-11 USBC Sport Bowling National High Average Award. She averaged 210 for 48 games in the Beverly Sport League at Beverly Lanes in Arlington Heights, Ill.

John Donahue of Shawnee Mission, Kan., topped the Adult Male division with a 230 average for 72 games in the PBA Experience league at Ward Parkway Lanes, while Kyle Sherman of O'Fallon, Mo., and Denver's Emily Eckhoff led all youth Sport bowlers with 205 and 196, respectively. 

"It feels really good to have the top average in the country and receive this honor," said Johnson, a seven-time member of Team USA, who posted a USBC women's record 244.4 average in a standard league during the 2004-05 season. "The bowling center is pretty tough overall, and there are a lot of great bowlers in the area who also bowl in the league. It definitely helped keep me sharp for all of the tournaments I bowl in, and I'm very proud of this accomplishment."

After finishing second at the 2011 USBC Team USA Trials, Johnson went on to claim two gold medals (team and doubles) at the World Women's Championships in Hong Kong and also won singles and doubles at the Pan American Games in Guadalajara, Mexico.

Donahue, 52, started bowling Sport leagues in 2007 with his focus on preparing for top senior events.

"I needed to do preparation work to bowl senior tournaments like PBA and SASBA by the time I turned 50," Donahue said. "I determined that bowling in PBA Experience leagues was a good way to sharpen my skills. Bowling in PBA Experience leagues also has helped me play lanes better with both Sport and non-Sport lane conditions." 

Eckhoff and Sherman (pictued below), both 17, said they decided to challenge themselves on Sport conditions so they could be prepared for top competition.

"For the love and dedication I have for this sport, I am greatly honored to have earned this award," said Eckhoff, who started bowling in Sport leagues in 2006. "Being able to accomplish an achievement that rarely comes along means a lot to me."

Sherman was 13 when he bowled in his first Sport league. He made headlines in the summer of 2010 when he won the JBC Gateway Scholarship Tournament by rolling games of 300, 259, 300 and 289 in match play.

"I wanted to improve my game, and I knew I had to challenge myself on Sport shots in order to compete with the top competition," Sherman said. "I feel so honored to have achieved this award, and I realize that practice and hard work pay off."

National Standard High Average and High Series Awards

The 2010-11 USBC National Standard High Average and High Series Awards also have been announced.

In the Standard high series category, three bowlers rolled a 900 series to tie in the Adult Male division.

Bill Howell III of Middletown, N.Y., accomplished the feat during the Bruce Bryan 3 Person league at Tarsio Lanes 52 on Oct. 21, 2010, and five weeks later, on Nov. 28, Matt Latarski of Medina, Ohio, rolled a 900 series during the Sunday Morning Trio at Roseland Lanes. Bob Kammer Jr. of Crown Point, Ind., became the 18th bowler in history with a perfect series when he tossed his on Jan. 8, 2011 during the Saturday Invitational League at Stardust Bowl II in Merrillville, Ind.

Quantrelle Green of Douglasville, Ga., had the top series for adult females with 870 (280, 300, 290), which was rolled in the Monday Night Big Money league on Sept. 27, 2010 at Suburban Lanes.

In the youth division, Justin Tan of Flower Mound, Texas, came within one frame of becoming the second youth bowler to record a 900 series, and took home the Youth Male honor with 879 (300, 300, 279) at AMF Lewisville Lanes. During the 2009-10 season, Tan led all youth males in the nation with a 239 average.

Katelyn Simpson of Boise, Idaho, topped the Youth Female division with games of 233, 300 and 299 for an 832 series in the Chiefs league at Meridian Lanes.

In the adult category for Standard high average, Patrick Partilla of Wilkes Barre, Pa., posted the second-highest average in USBC history with a 259 mark for 93 games in the Chacko's FBC/Dan's Pro Shop league at Chacko's Family Bowling Center. Only Jeff Carter of Springfield, Ill., has averaged higher, posting a 261.7 average during the 2000-01 season.

Teri Haefke of Austintown, Ohio, averaged 242 for 96 games in the Thursday Night Matchplay league at Amron Lanes to lead all women.

Colin Dall of Council Bluffs, Iowa, averaged 240 for 90 games in the Thunderbolts AM league at Thunderbowl to earn Youth Male honors, while Lizabeth Kuhlkin of Schenectady, N.Y., led all youth females with a 225 mark in the Saturday AM Major at Sportsman's Bowl. She also led the nation a year ago with a 228 average.

For the complete list of the National High Series and High Average Awards, click here.

The team awards for National High Game and National High Series awards also have been determined. For the adult award winners, click here. For the youth national awards, click here.

Views: 25

Reply to This

Latest Activity

David M Barber commented on Theo McNair's group Seniors (better with age)
"Anybody know when 2016 schedule is coming out..from NC & alittle far to travel, looking for senior tours, so may have to travel more thanks"
Jan 3, 2016
Glen Cogni is now a member of RealBowlers
Dec 11, 2015
Paul Summons posted photos
Dec 11, 2015
Gerard Almarales updated their profile
Nov 20, 2015
Paul Summons updated their profile
Aug 26, 2015
Paul Summons commented on Valerie Jeffries's photo
Thumbnail

VJ PICTURES 011

"Good afternoon Ms.Valerie hope alls well are you on FB? Look me up " Paul Skippy Summons ' if not shoot me an email skipbowl@yahoo.com"
Aug 25, 2015
Valerie Jeffries left a comment for Valerie Jeffries
"Thanks Paul. I had a great experience!!"
Aug 17, 2015
Valerie Jeffries left a comment for Paul Summons
"Hi Paul !"
Aug 17, 2015
Paul Summons left a comment for Valerie Jeffries
"Nice meeting you this weekend Ms.Valerie and great bowling"
Aug 17, 2015
Paul Michael Matye is attending Theo McNair's event
Thumbnail

$5000 Eric DeFreitas Scratch Singles Classic sponsored by Boom Apparel at Junction Lanes Bowling Center

August 16, 2015 from 8am to 9pm
 Tournament Formata)     The field is open to the first 160 bowlers.  These bowlers will bowl a six game block moving to the second pair to…See More
Aug 14, 2015
James Cooper Jr. is attending Theo McNair's event

Roto Grip 4 Game Sweeper $500 at Junction Lanes Bowling Center

August 15, 2015 from 7:30pm to 9:30pm
Scratch Singles Event  $500 1st Place Total score for 4 games wins! 1:5 Payout Ratio HOUSE SHOT $50 Entry FeeSee More
Aug 14, 2015
Theo McNair updated an event
Thumbnail

$5000 Eric DeFreitas Scratch Singles Classic sponsored by Boom Apparel at Junction Lanes Bowling Center

August 16, 2015 from 8am to 9pm
 Tournament Formata)     The field is open to the first 160 bowlers.  These bowlers will bowl a six game block moving to the second pair to…See More
Aug 13, 2015

RB Bowling League News

RealBowlers Tour

Create Your Badge

LEAGUE STANDING SHEETS

RealBowlers League Sheets

RealMoney Mixed 2010-11 Final Standings!!

FINALrlbw1011-X.pdf

Updated 5/16/2011

thursrealmoneymixed-wk35FINAL.pdf
Updated 5/24/10
wedtrio09- Final Standings.pdf Updated 8/21/09
ThursMoney09-Final Standings.pdf
UPDATED 5/25/09

Music

© 2024   Created by Theo McNair.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service